04 November 2008

historic day, right?

Today I was able to cast my vote for Barack Obama for president, and Al Franken for US Senate, and the meaningful thing about that, has been the interactions I have had with strangers this afternoon and early evening.

At the bank, I chatted with my teller, an African American man in his 20s (by my estimation) about the excitement of people feeling like part of the system who have never felt that way before. At the bus stop, I talked to an 18 year old woman who voted for the first time today--for Obama, who shares her skin color.

I have never felt so excited about voting as I did this morning, except for maybe the first time (1996). This is my 4th presidential election, and I've voted for the democrat every time-- I'm just really excited that he might win.

Although, I'm still nervous. I don't trust that the republicans don't have some shenanigans up their sleeves.

No comments: